Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Power of the Parents

Yes, I'm almost 30 years old. Yes I live 3,000 miles away from them, but make no mistake, Mama and Daddy Mac still have some serious veto power.

When I decided to do this competition, I figured my folks wouldn't be too pleased. They're no prudes, but having their only daughter prancing around on stage in a bikini is probably not their favorite idea.

So I waited almost a month before telling them and went with the make-them-think-the-worst-then-hit-em-with-not-so-bad-news tactic. Here's how it went down:

Mac: OK. Listen. I've got something to tell you that you probably won't like, but I've already done it, so it's too late to stop me.

Daddy Mac: Yea...?

Mac: I'm going to do a bikini competition. (Give them the general details)

Mama Mac: That's great! Exciting! I'm proud of you.

Daddy Mac: Will there be pictures taken? (Read: Will I potentially be going home on everyone's camera phone?)

Mac: Yes, Dad, there will be pictures.

Daddy Mac: Uh huh. Well, if that's what you want to do... Watch out for the weirdos.

Dad has since warmed up to the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment